India-China faceoff: 12 hours on, no headway in third Corp Commander-level talks

- Advertisement -

India-China faceoff: 12 hours on, no headway in third Corp Commander-level talks

Indian and Chinese militaries on Tuesday held an over 12-hour Corps Commander-level dialogue with a give attention to finalising modalities for the disengagement of troops from several standoff points in jap Ladakh and explored methods to ease stress in the area.

In the meeting, the Indian delegation reportedly conveyed considerations over China’s “new declare traces” in the area and demanded the restoration of establishment ante in addition to speedy withdrawal of Chinese troops from Galwan Valley, Pangong Tso and a variety of different areas, sources stated.

- Advertisement -

The talks passed off on the Indian side of Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Chushul sector in jap Ladakh. The meeting started at 11 AM and was still persevering with on the time of submitting this report.

The Indian delegation on the meeting was headed by 14 Corps Commander Lt Gen Harinder Singh whereas the Chinese side was led by the Commander of the Tibet Military District Major General Liu Lin.

The sources stated the Indian side also pitched for strictly following provisions of a variety of agreements on coping with points referring to the dealing with of border points.


According to sources, the most important bone of competition between the 2 sides has been on pullback of troops from a number of key areas. India will not be agreeing to retreat 2-Three km at Pangong as it might imply a retreat Finger 4, which has always been a part of Indian territory. India has continued to stake declare until Finger eight of the Pangong Tso.

India Today was the first to element simply how critical the scenario is on the ridgeline at Finger 4, with everlasting Chinese positions rising for the first time in a swathe of disputed territory claimed and earlier patrolled by each side.

While the Chinese Army stays unmoved, each bodily on the bottom throughout friction points in addition to in talks, it’s clear that the PLA management has determined to focus its intransigence on Finger 4, displaying each intention to maneuver even further west into Indian territory, however held off by greater Indian deployments in the realm.

On the opposite hand, China is reportedly unwilling to tug back its troop from the Galwan Valley, which witnessed a bloody conflict between the 2 sides.

The three different friction points, Patrol Point 14 in the Galwan Valley (where the violent conflict passed off on June 15) and Patrol Points 15 & 17A close to the Gogra Post in Hot Springs, also came up for dialogue.

In the earlier Corp Commander-level meeting, China had claimed that it’s still 800 metres away from its declare line in the area.

Similar variations over disengagement in Depsang and Demchok are also posing as a roadblock in consensus.


Both sides have maintained that the main target of the talks was on finalising the modalities for de-escalation, and disengagement of troops from several friction points, the sources stated including there have been deliberations on confidence-building measures as effectively.

India Today has learnt that removed from de-escalation, a higher mobilisation and focus of troops have been seen on each side of the Line of Actual Control in the last 72 hours. And the mobilisation exhibits no indicators of abating.

However, there was no official phrase on the main points of the meeting.

Three issues have emerged fairly clearly from at the moment’s talks. One, the procedure to outline the essential ‘how’ of disengagement has made no clear headway. Two, that whereas the 2 sides have outlined their very own particulars of disengagement, there are key disagreements which have stalled any clear progress in the talks. And three, the token discount in troops seen at some websites, together with Patrol Point 14, is exactly that — token, in the current scheme of issues.


Tuesday’s meeting was the third corps commander-level discuss for the reason that India-China standoff started on May 5.

In the earlier two rounds of talks, the Indian side demanded speedy withdrawal of Chinese troops from several areas in the area.

The Indian and Chinese armies are locked in a bitter standoff in a number of areas in jap Ladakh for the last seven weeks, and the stress escalated manifold after 20 Indian troopers had been killed in a violent conflict in Galwan Valley on June 15. The Chinese side also suffered casualties however it’s yet to present out the main points.

In the talks on June 22, the 2 sides arrived at a “mutual consensus” to “disengage” from all of the friction points in jap Ladakh. The earlier two rounds of dialogue passed off at Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC.

Following the Galwan Valley incident, the govt has given the armed forces “full freedom” to present a “befitting” response to any Chinese misadventure alongside the LAC, the three,500-km de-facto border.

The Army has sent hundreds of further troops to ahead areas alongside the border in the last two weeks. The IAF has also moved air defence methods in addition to a sizeable number of its frontline fight jets and attack helicopters to a number of key airbases.

In a strongly-worded assertion, the exterior affairs ministry last week held China answerable for the standoff, saying it has has been amassing a big contingent of troops and armaments alongside the LAC since early May and that conduct of the Chinese forces is in full disregard of all mutually agreed norms.

The first spherical of the Lt General talks was held on June 6 throughout which each side finalised an settlement to disengage progressively from all of the standoff points starting with Galwan Valley.

However, the scenario deteriorated following the Galwan Valley clashes as the 2 sides considerably bolstered their deployments in most areas alongside the LAC.

Tensions had escalated in jap Ladakh after around 250 Chinese and Indian troopers had been engaged in a violent face-off on May 5 and 6. The incident in Pangong Tso was adopted by an analogous incident in North Sikkim on May 9.

Prior to the clashes, each side had been asserting that pending the final decision of the boundary subject, it was needed to take care of peace and tranquillity in the border areas.

(with inputs from Shiv Aroor and Abhishek Bhalla in New Delhi)

[Headline and report might have been reworked by the The News Everyday; rest generated from a syndicated feed.]

- Advertisement -